Friday, April 5, 2013

Life Lessons (by Gene Klayman)

Setting: We just finished dinner and we are sitting around the kitchen counter chatting and getting ready to eat dessert.  I give Violet about 15 chocolate covered raisinets, which she immediately begins to devour.

Me: Violet, can I have one?
Violet: (covering her plate with her hands in an attempt to hide her chocolate treasure): No, I can't give you one.  I have very little.
Me: Awww, but I really want to try it. Just one?
Gene: Violet, if you share with mommy, I will give you more.
Violet: (hesitantly gives me one raisinet)
Me: Thanks for sharing Violet.  That was really kind of you.
Gene: See, you were nice and shared with mommy and now you get more raisinets. (proceeds to give her 5 more raisinets)
Violet: (continues to munch on her treats)
Gene: Can I have one?
Violet: (excited at the thought of getting more raisinets, she happily gives Gene one) OK, now I need more.  I was a good girl and I shared.
Gene: Sorry Violet, you don't get any more.
Violet: But I shared!
Gene: Yes, but that doesn't mean you will always be rewarded for your kind actions.  Sometimes you will and sometimes you won't, that's just life.  There will be moments when it will eat you up and spit you out kiddo.
Me: (uncontrollably laughing)
Gene: What?  She has to learn at some point.
Me: Yeah, 3 is a good age.

Tune in next week as Gene teaches our kids that bad things do happen to good people.


No comments:

Post a Comment