Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Closing Time...

More than a decade ago, the words "closing time" made me hum the crappy (yet catchy) hit song by Semisonic.   It is now 2011, and "closing time" has a completely different meaning.  We are soon closing on our very own two bedroom condo in what used to be known as Red Hook (or rather the unnamed stretch of Red Hook on the other side of the BQE).  The area has since been renamed (mostly by brokers) to Columbia Waterfront or Cobble Hill West and thanks to the big construction project on the Piers, (1-6) it has gained quite a bit of momentum in the real estate world.
I can't believe only a year (and change) ago we moved into our current apartment and I remember telling Gene, "I can see us in this place for at least five years."  Nostradamus, I am not.  While somewhat sad to leave prime Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill,  I am excited to own a home all of my own.  A friend put it best: "There is nothing more gratifying than having your own home.  It lasts through everything, and it is the best, most secure feeling you could ever have."
As I sit here and write this, I am surrounded by boxes, boxes and more boxes.  Even though I have done this 13 times (8 times in college, 1 to California, 1 back to my parents,1 to Manhattan, 1 to Carroll Gardens, 1 to Cobble Hill) it only gets harder as you accumulate more junk.  Hopefully we're not going anywhere for at least  another five three years.  Hey, what can I say, I love to pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment