Thursday, February 24, 2011

FINALLY!

            After months of waiting and hundreds of emails with lawyers, bankers and brokers, we are finally home owners. As we said goodbye to our savings accounts, stocks and 401ks, we said hello to a brand new apartment on Warren street.  With the paperwork behind us, we can focus on unpacking and decorating.  Sure the place is smaller, but as with all things in life, we will just have to get a little creative and learn to adjust.  Who says the oven can't be used for storage?
           As far as the move itself goes, I thought it was one of our smoothest yet.  When I asked Gene what he thought, he said, "No, it was hard!".  Since this was the only move we ever had that didn't involve stairs I was curious at what he thought was the hardest part.  He tilted his head, thought for a second and quickly replied, "carrying stuff."   Can't argue with that.
           This move also made me realize what I have known for many years now - we have AMAZING friends.  On a snowy Presidents Day, they all woke up super early to help us move.  You know you have true friends when they don't ask if you need help, but instead ask what time they should be there.  Not only did they move us but they stayed late to put together all of our furniture and even put up with my crazy requests to move the couch into twenty different spots.
            Adjusting to the new place has been pretty easy but I am still experiencing moments of: where am I?  For the first time in my life, I am living in a place that is brand spanking new.  The morning after the move I woke up to feed Violet and still half asleep shuffled my way into the kitchen to heat up her formula.  My first thought was, "wow, this hotel has a nice kitchen."  It was only seconds later that I realized I am not actually at a hotel and at that point my brain started working over-time to try to figure out where I was and why I was there.  Ahhh, yes that big check I wrote the other day, it must have been for this place.  Yes, yes, it's all coming back to me now.  Wow, nice diggs.
           Violet is also enjoying the new apartment and has been running around exploring every nook and cranny.  Yesterday she walked into the kitchen and touched the Kitchen Aid logo on every appliance, ensuring it's authenticity.  Speaking of kids, the building is FULL of them.  Violet's boyfriend Jackson is across the hall and I can already see those two being trouble makers - just like their mommies back in the heyday.  As I write this, hazy memories of Beer Fridays come to mind. Yes, Brooke and I once had 'Beer Friday Coordinators' as part of our job description!  We might have to upgrade to wine Wednesdays.
           Just like with everything I do, I like to set imaginary goals and deadlines that really mean absolutely nothing and serve no other purpose other than to drive Gene crazy.  So here is my goal for the apartment:  I want to be done with unpacking and decorating by the time we go to Costa Rica - March 14th.  This means: window treatments, furniture, lighting and closets have to be done in three weekends.  Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment