Monday, October 26, 2009

I learned so much!

This weekend was productive for two reasons:
1. We got to catch up with several friends we haven't seen in a while
and 
2. We started to pack all of our things in preparation for the big move next weekend.


The best part about packing is getting to throw away all your old stuff.  Gene and I are very different when it comes to tossing our belongings.  Translation: Gene is a hoarder!  I will gladly take the clothes off my back and throw them out so I have less stuff to move and an excuse to buy new things.  Gene on the other hand has A/X muscle shirts from 1996 that he isn't willing to part with.  I told him that we need to follow one basic rule: if you haven't worn it in 3 years - it goes.  I thought this was very clever of me, until the following evening when Gene dressed as if he was heading to Webster Hall. 


On Friday we met up with our friends Vika, Sereja and baby Audrey.  We ate, we laughed, we talked pregnancy and baby and ultimately I left their home with a new addiction.  Vika told me that when she was pregnant she had this crazy craving for Bubble Tea.  She talked about this tea with such excitement and vigor that it made my mouth water.  Not only did she pick it up each day after work, but when it got too tough to walk the extra distance, she made sure Sereja would buy it on his way home.  I remembered trying bubble tea back when I lived in California, but couldn't quite remember the flavor.  Of course being a crazy pregnant woman on a mission, I made it my goal to find bubble tea if it was the last thing I did.


Saturday morning we met up with our friends Lana and Jon for some brunch.  It was by far the most educational meal I have ever had.  Lana is serving on the grand jury so here is what I learned:
1.  People that reside in Bushwick tend to carry disassembled machine guns in their backpacks
2. If you walk through Bed Sty on any given day, you will pass 'the corner guys' who will easily sell you drugs, guns and anything else that your heart desires
3. If you live in Crown Heights and have a legitimate job, be prepared to get beat up and robbed at least once a week
4. Hookers in Canarsie can be (and will be) very tricky if they want to get more money out of you


While all of this was highly informative, the biggest (and most important) lesson that day was:


5. There is a new bubble tea place (Eton Too) that opened on Smith street and Sackett


I finally got my tea fix and boy was it good.  The place has about 20 different flavors and since discovering it on Saturday, I have already tried: taro, green tea, mango and pumpkin.  Favorite so far: Taro!


Gene's Corner:
Setting: Gene is getting dressed for work this morning and unable to button his pants. After several attempts he says,
"Can I borrow your Bella Band"?

1 comment:

  1. 3yrs? wow..my rule is 1yr...if you havent worn it in the past year, chances are you wont ever wear it again...
    Also, I see someone was not paying attention when I was telling you about Grand Jury 3yrs ago :):):)

    ReplyDelete