Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The cat is out of the bag

Keeping the pregnancy a secret for weeks has been VERY hard. At eight weeks, I couldn't take it much longer and Gene and I decided it was time to tell the family. We invited Gene's parents to E.Hampton (which we do all the time) so nothing seemed suspicious. Since I was too excited/nervous I told Gene to break the big news which he did via a toast during our first meal there. We all raised our glasses and Gene said some beautiful things about family and how much we treasure ours and how we will now look forward to a new adventure in our life - an expansion of our family. Gene's mom was the first to figure out what that meant and then it appeared like a domino effect as each family member figured out what is to come. As expected there were lots of hugs, kisses, questions, and pregnancy and birth stories to follow. It was fun to listen to the two moms reminisce about their own experience and offer advice and support.

At the time of our big announcement, my brother was running around the yard with his friend Mitchell so he didn't even notice all the commotion. I later called him over and said, "Guess what? You're going to be an uncle." He looked at me, thought for a moment and said, "Yeah, right" and went back to playing. I later showed him the ultra sound picture which he needed to run by his friend Mitchell (who recently had a baby sister - so he was the expert) to confirm that this was not in fact a hoax. He came back grinning, saying, "Wow, Mitchell said you are pregnant because that's exactly what his sister looked like."

The next day we went for a hike and then to the beach and upon returning to the house, I was absolutely exhausted - pregnancy hormones seem to do that to you. It felt great to have an excuse to get out of dinner preparations and go take a nap. I think I am going to enjoy the next 7 months!

There was another big event recently - our one year wedding anniversary. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was saying, "I do". Last night we had a romantic dinner at Daniel and Gene surprised me with a beautiful pair of earrings that I was eyeing recently. By the time we got home from diner, I was dreading the 4 flight walk up the stairs but as I entered the foyer, I saw a beautiful bouquet of roses and cala lilies waiting for me. What can I say, "I am one lucky gal."

Mood: Feeling on top of the world
Annoyance: possible case of narcolepsy

No comments:

Post a Comment