Thursday, September 24, 2009

Placentophagia

I was very hesitant about writing this post because reading it will require a strong stomach. You have been warned, so continue at your own risk.

Ok, you’re reading on so I guess you think you can handle this topic. What is it you ask? Placentophagia. You’re not going to have to Google it, because I am about to divulge all the details you’ll ever need to hear.

“Placentophagia -- the practice of eating the placenta -- has been observed throughout history in many parts of the world. In Western cultures, eating the placenta is often viewed as barbaric, but there has been a recent push among young mothers to carry out this practice after giving birth, due to the observance of multiple benefits to the mother's health.”

People actually do this?!?! Who was the first person that saw their placenta and said, “Hmm, that would go well with my chicken noodle soup.” There are a multitude of things we as humans can eat, but we don’t because some things are better left uneaten. I will leave it at that.

It gets worse...

“The most common (and, many claim, the most beneficial) method of placentophagia is to consume it raw in the moments immediately following childbirth.“

Most women I spoke to said they craved sushi, wine or brie immediately after birth. I don’t recall anyone saying they couldn’t wait to take a bite of their placenta.

And my favorite part...

“Odd as it may sound, there are literally hundreds of recipes available online and in folklore for cooking your placenta. When cooking the placenta, the meat must first be cut away from the membranes before preparation. Some of the most popular recipes for preparing the placenta include roast placenta (roasted in the oven as you would a pork roast), placenta cocktail (a drink blended with vegetable juices and ice), stew, and lasagna, and spaghetti, among others.”

Really? Placenta cocktail? What would that order sound like? Hey bartender, bloody Mary please. Make it with an extra shot of vodka, a dash of hot sauce, oh and don’t forget the placenta.

What has all this taught me? Mostly, that I should stay away from message boards on BabyCenter.

Quote of the day: There are many disturbing qualities about the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant". For me, the most frightening part is the general consensus among these women, regarding their unknown start of labor: "I thought I was dying".

UPDATE:
I wanted to clarify a few things:
1. I am not judging anyone who chose to eat their placenta or is planning to in the near or distant future.
2. Gene really discouraged me from posting this entry. In fact, he said, "I don't get it. What's the point of this? Are you just being gross?" Since I feel that I am a cutting edge blogger, I have no choice but to post this piece of atrocity masterpiece.

1 comment:

  1. hi, I was just doing some research about this and came across your article. The first time I ever heard of it I was very grossed out but the more I read about the benefits the more I think I might try it - but not raw. I would have it dehydrated and encapsulated. (you can pay to have this done for you and a bottle of pills is just delivered to you.)

    The placenta is packed full of beneficial vitamins, micro nutrients, and hormones. It contains (among other things) Gonadotrophin, Prolactin, Oxytocin, Thyroid stimulating hormone, Cortisone, Interferon, Prostaglandins, Hemoglobin, Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII, Gammaglobulin, it is used to prevent post partum depression or baby blues. In addition ingesting the placenta after birth is almost universal in both carnivorous and herbivorous mammals – we are the only primates that don’t do it. There have been several studies that show the benefits of consuming ones own placenta.

    Why do it? After the birth of my son I felt horrible. I had crazy dreams and would cry at the drop of a pin. If I could avoid that – I wouldn’t’ care if it was the placebo affect.
    Anyway I just wanted to encourage you to do your own research. Good luck with your birth!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete